Saturday, August 9, 2008

Heading South

Today is the first day of a greatly needed vacation! It's been over 3 years since I have taken a vacation, and I've been really feeling it for months now.


My plan was to have today to spend getting everything in order for my trip, but then I realized it has been a shamefully long time since I have posted here. So, I thought I would give a quick update on what I have been doing.


First of all I have some new designs that will soon be up on the Peaches & Creme website. There are two kits that will be released at the workshops on Monday where I will be leading classes for each of the kits, as well as a beginner's crochet class. I'll share pictures of those projects, as well as some others when I return.


As for my other WIPs, I have two big ones at the moment:

This is a throw blanket I am making as a host/hostess gift for my Brother's in-law's. I'll be staying at their 2nd home in South Carolina for a few days after the P&C workshops. I wanted to bring them a handmade gift, and had trouble deciding on exactly what to make. I had a few things started, and wasn't crazy about any of them. Finally, late Thursday night, I decided on this throw. It made from Peaches & Creme Double Worsted Weight, as well as some worsted weight- double stranded. The black and grey DW has been in my stash forever, waiting for inspiration, and the rest of the colours are large quantity left overs. I spoke to Gerry about it, and apparently I chose the colours well. He said it will match his MIL's decor perfectly. That was good to hear since it was over 2' square by the time I told him about it.

In this picture it's about 3' square. I will work it to 4' square, and then possibly add some sort of decorative border, or just finish off with a few rounds of black and grey stripes (I have the most yarn in those colours).

This rumpled ball of knitting is my mother's shawl that has been in the mental works for months now. My plan was to have this be my major road trip knitting. Unfortunately I have had so little time to spin that I don't think I have enough yarn to go very far with it. I do think if I get all of pre-trip chores out of the way by 2pm today I could potentially spin away for a while, and finish off the bobbin I have going now, then ply some more before the trip. I wouldn't get to set the twist, but I think it would be okay. I could set it in the hotel, and have it for the ride home next weekend.

I tried to spread the fabric a bit to give a glimpse of the emerging lace pattern, but it couldn't do that too effectively with only one hand, and I needed the other to take the picture.

I showed this to my father, and he said it looks like an old hair net. Just the sort of thing you want to hear after many hours of spinning, graphing, and knitting!

I have one last thing I will share before I go. This is not one of my projects, but a belated birthday gift from my brother:

This was Gerry's first pair of socks! Can you believe it!?

I was so honored to receive such a gift I didn't even have the words to express it!

They are quite warm, as they are made with Cascade 220, but I have still been wearing them quite a bit. In fact, I am wearing them now!

6 comments:

Lil Knitter said...

I am so sorry we couldn't work out a get together. :( I was so looking forward to hanging out with you. I hope we get a chance to do it some other time. I think it's great that your workshops have taken off the way they have.
The throw blanket is nice...love those colors and I'm sure they'll appreciate the gift.
Don't sweat Dad's comments...that is going to be a beautiful shawl.
Awesome socks! I can't believe those are his first socks ever. WOW!!
Hope you have a safe trip and great time.
Hugs!

Joansie said...

Wow..lots of grat projects going on. No wonder you haven't had time to blog.

Your father's comment cracked me up. Now, I'm never sure whether or not to be offended when someone tells me my socks look like they are machine=knitted...but a hairnet..ouch!!

Gerry shared the progress of your socks with me over the last few months. He did a fantastic job. That is really a gift of love.

Have a great trip...chat when you return.

Maureen said...

Glad to hear you are taking a vacation for yourself! Enjoy the time! You have a lovely gift for your hosts started! Nice job! Love your belated b-day gift! Gerry's socks are amazing! Have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Have a great vacation! Hope to see you when you get back!

Gerry did a fabulous job on the socks, they are gorgeous.

And I cannot wait to see the shawl!

LDSVenus said...

Good to see a post from you and know you are still alive :). I'm sure your gift will be appreciated, the colors for the throw blend well together.

I love lace knitting and am curious about what your final design will look like for the shawl. I hope you got some needed peaceful spinning done and enough yarn made to work on the shawl.

Your brother did a great job on the socks, what a visual effect they are!!! Color work is a bit more time consuming and my hat is off to him.

DEEDALOOS said...

LOVE the socks! the hairnet . . . ummm . . . not so much . . . ha, ha, ha! keep up the great work!!