I designed this bookmark, along with a few others when I had a little unanticipated extra time in my day. This sample is knit on US size 1 needles with size 10 cotton. It's about 1.25" wide. I made the sample in the picture shorter than I intended because I decided half way through it would look good sewn onto a piece of 1" white ribbon (which I have to buy).
If I knit this again I will use US size 2 needles, and size 3 cotton.
CHAIN OF HEARTS BOOKMARK
small amount of crochet cotton or fingering wt yarn
needles sized appropriate to yarn
K2tog- knit 2 sts together
SSK- slip next 2 stitches purlwise (individually), insert left needle into front of both sts and knit together
YO- yarn over
*NOTE* unless otherwise stated, all odd rows are K2, P9, K2
Cast on 13 sts
1&2) K across
4) K5, K2tog, YO, K6
6) K4, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, ssk, K4
8) K3, K2tog, YO, K3, YO, SSK, K3
10) K2, K2tog, YO, K5, YO, SSK, K2
12) K2, K2tog, YO, K1, K2tog, YO, K2, YO, SSK, K2
14) K2, K2tog, YO, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, SSK, YO, SSK, K2
16) K3, K2tog, YO, K3, YO, SSK, K3
Repeat rows 10-17 until bookmark is desired length.
Knit 3 rows, bind off, weave in ends.